Innovation in Science Pursuit for Inspired Research (INSPIRE)
The Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, has launched the “Innovation in Science Pursuit for Inspired Research (INSPIRE)” [http://www.inspire-dst.gov.in] program in 2008. The program aims to attract talent for study of science and careers with research. INSPIRE includes many components. INSPIRE Faculty Scheme offers a contractual research awards to young achievers and opportunity for independent research in the near term and emerge as a future leader in the long term.
- Indian citizens and people of Indian origin including NRI/PIO status with PhD (in science, mathematics, engineering, pharmacy, medicine, and agriculture related subjects) from any recognized university in the world,
- Candidates shall possess minimum 60% ( or equivalent CGPA) marks throughout his/her academic profile starting from Higher Secondary examination( class 12 onwards).
- Those who have submitted their Ph.D Theses and are awaiting award of the degree are also eligible.
- However, the award will be conveyed only after confirmation of the awarding the Ph.D degree.
- The upper age limit as on 1st July 2018 should be 32 years for considering support for a period of 5 years. However, for SC and ST candidates, upper age limit will be 35 years.
- Publication(s) in highly reputed Journals demonstrating research potential of the candidate.
- Candidates who are employed in regular/contractual position within India may apply for INSPIRE Faculty
- Award towards improvement and enhancement of his/her career prospects but upon selection, the candidate needs to resign (no lien or deputation or any type of leave would be accepted) from the current job and organization for the implementation of INSPIRE Faculty Award.
Roles and requirements of Host Institutions
- Host institutions should be encouraged to provide a congenial atmosphere for the awardees to excel in their work, and should view them as potential assets for faculty development.
- Under no circumstances the “INSPIRE Faculty” Award is renewable after 5 years. Host-institutions are expected to consider “INSPIRE Faculty” for permanent positions in due course, subject to meeting institutions performance assessment criteria.
- Under nomination mode, In-breeding by host-institution is generally not encouraged. However, in case host-institutions are willing to nominate their own Ph.D students under this Scheme, specific justifications and commitment for development of independent directions of research should be clearly delineated.
- Access to all common infrastructural facilities, acceptable laboratory and office space (independently or on shared basis), computing, library access, etc.,
- Information on whether desirable new areas/directions of research are being introduced through this scheme,
- Information on whether the INSPIRE Faculty will be allowed to supervise Ph.D students, hire research fellows, independently or jointly with a permanent faculty member
Eligible students choosing 'Direct Mode' or ‘Nomination Mode’ must apply online only in the prescribed format on or before 31 August 2018.